We’re committed to helping you grow at H+K, which is why we’re proud of our industry-leading training program. H+K University, launched in 2013, is our global training platform. All employees have access to a long list of consistent, highly relevant training courses that cover critical skills in communications and consulting, with an emphasis on the modern skills needed in today’s economy. Courses are offered locally and regionally by in‐house subject matter experts and, where needed, by outside professionals. Topics range from account management and working in teams, to understating the practices and offerings of our firm. Local trainings are also offered on a regular basis, and staff are encouraged to seek out additional training where needed.
Mentoring is an important way to encourage a culture of teamwork and collaboration. At H+K, we connect employees across practices, skill level, regions and cultures to support personal growth, raise awareness of capabilities, and foster future collaboration. Mentoring programs in the U.S. include our Global Virtual Mentoring Program; mentorHER, a mentoring program for our female staff; and individual mentoring and career path initiatives, tailored to the unique needs of each office and its employees.
We know that learning is an ongoing process and that there are many ways to grow skills and knowledge. Building a unique point of view and growing a robust network take both time and opportunity. We strive to provide our employees with both, encouraging them to join professional organizations that help them grow their skills and meet new people. In fact, we took this insight to the next level. H+K offers to pay initial membership fees for every employee to join a professional organization of their choice.
We support employee requests to relocate to other offices within the U.S. and throughout the world. International and regional career opportunities are communicated through company-wide emails and on H+K Exchange, our internal communications portal. As part of our “best teams” approach to account teams, H+K strives to connect the right talent mix to the right office and client needs.
Dave Robinson International Scholarship
The Dave Robinson International Scholarship was created in memory of the late Dave Robinson, who served as president and CEO of H+K Australia, the Middle East, Africa and South and Central Asia. Dave believed in the value of international transfers and assignments, and in providing our people with the opportunity to see and explore what the H+K network has to offer. Scholars receive a transfer stipend from H+K to relocate to an international office for three months. They become immersed in the culture of that office and country, support a variety of client accounts, and grow their global consulting skills.
Frank Mankiewicz U.S. Career Explorations Program
Modeled after the Dave Robinson International Scholars Program, and named in honor of a longtime colleague and friend, the Frank Mankiewicz U.S. Career Explorations Program focuses on helping employees explore their career potential here in the U.S. This program allows team members the chance to experience life and work in an exciting new city by spending a two to four-week term in one of our other U.S. offices. This is a unique opportunity for H+Kers to expand their internal network outside of their home office, gain hands-on experience working with new clients and different practice groups, all while absorbing the individual culture, energy and leadership that makes each of our U.S. offices so unique.
Giving back is important, and doing good feels good, which is why employees at H+K receive 8 hours of paid time off to volunteer with a qualified non-profit or institution. Examples of community service includes time spent building a Habitat for Humanity House, volunteering at a religious organization or stocking shelves at a food bank.
Our fellowship program was created to provide participants with real-world communications and strategic counsel experience at the beginning of their careers. This six-month program for recent college graduates promotes the development of their communication skills through collaboration with senior employees on pressing client issues, with many participants accepting full-time offers at the end of their fellowship.
Rewards and Recognition
In 2016, H+K rolled out Cheers!, a new online employee engagement and recognition program. The platform allows employees across the H+K network to send and receive recognition, and celebrate successes and milestones with specialty badges. This recognition allows employees to publicly show off their great work and can be applied toward monetary and non-monetary awards like gift cards and special incentives.
Talent25 is an internal program designed to recognize and reward the best of the best at the junior and mid-levels in the U.S. Each year a class of 25 client-facing and operations employees from across the firm are nominated by H+Kers and recognized for their embodiment of the best of H+K.
Open communication between employees and their supervisors is critical. We encourage regular meetings to discuss performance, set goals, and look ahead. Performance reviews and peer-to-peer feedback is collected annually through Cheers!, where managers can easily refer to all the positive feedback received throughout the year – including training, mentoring and peer recognition badges.
One of the easiest ways to help employees enjoy their work environment is to let them bring in people they like, respect and admire. Therefore, we support our best-in-the-business employees to bring their friends to work for us. Subject to certain conditions, our employees receive $3,000 for referring someone who is hired at H+K. We add more top talent, and our current talent gets a boost in more ways than one.
Diversity & Inclusion
Sameness is the enemy of creativity and innovative thinking excludes no one. As a global organization, we know well the value and importance of a variety of perspective and experience, including gender, race, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, language, religion, veteran status and much more. H+K prides itself on offering our clients a diverse brain-trust in the form of world-class client service teams and has established a number of programs, initiatives and partnerships to further our efforts in diversity, inclusion and accountability.
H+K Distinction is the U.S. diversity and inclusion program, which drives a variety of initiatives, events, key partnerships and outreach efforts to ensure our firm reaches ever-greater levels of diversity. H+K Distinction supports the belief that collaboration informed by our distinguishing differences and unique life experiences is where ground-breaking and inventive thinking is born. We have formed several partnerships as part of H+K Distinction that assist in our efforts, including:
- ColorComm. In 2017 we are pleased to be partnering with ColorComm, a business community for professionals of color, providing memberships for individuals on our staff and also supporting the organization’s annual conference.
- College + University Outreach. As part of our H+K Distinction diversity programs, we’re committed to providing opportunities for diverse candidates looking to launch a successful agency career. We invest our time attending regional college and university job fairs to connect with promising students and open our offices to host student visits and networking sessions for area PRSSA chapters. Our partnerships include longstanding relationships with diverse colleges such as Howard University.
- Emma L. Bowen Foundation. We support the Emma L. Bowen Foundation, whose mission is to create career opportunities in the media industry for minority youth. They do this through programs that focus on scholastic achievement, direct work experience and professional development. As a corporate partner, we offer a student a variety of work experiences and increasing levels of responsibility during a multi-year program, with the goal of helping them obtain competitive skills for permanent placement in the industry.
- The LAGRANT Foundation. The LAGRANT Foundation is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to increase the number of ethnic minorities in the fields of advertising, marketing and public relations by providing scholarships, career and professional development workshops, mentors and internships to African American/Black, Alaska Native/Native America, Asian American/Pacific Islander and Hispanic/Latino undergraduate and graduate students. As part of our commitment to LAGRANT, we serve on a panel of judges that awards scholarships each year to deserving students, host student visits and learning webinars in regional offices and, a member of our leadership team sits on their board.
- U.S. Army Training With Industry Program. We are extremely proud to be a long-time participant in the Training With Industry Program of the U.S. Army. This annual program places outstanding Army public information practitioners alongside our staff in the office and on client teams for one-years terms. The program provides a broadening opportunity for officers to learn how the private sector operates in the communications industry, and for us to learn from them. It has been a meaningful link for all of us to the men and women who defend our nation.
H+K U.S. benefits every day from gender balance in leadership, and we are committed to making our firm a welcoming and industry-leading workplace for all. H+K HER (Helping Executives Rise) – the H+K women’s network – was created in the U.S. in March 2015 to engage the firm’s attention, resources and leadership in addressing the unique challenges and opportunities that women experience in their careers. One of the core H+K HER programs is mentorHER, a formal mentoring program open to all female employees, which enjoys broad success and support: 98 percent of participants saying they’d recommend the program to a colleague.
WPP Common Ground Initiative
Common Ground is an international initiative to deploy the power of leading creative agencies to help address the world’s most pressing problems in support of the Sustainable Development Goals set forth by the United Nations. WPP, the holding company of which H+K is a part, is focusing its efforts on Goal 5: Gender Equality, and is involved in a variety of projects around the global network in support of these efforts.